Let’s go around the league and check out the recent updates from the past day or so:
- Released Lofa Tatupu (LB), a three-time Pro Bowl player, who had torn a pectoral muscle earlier in the week which would’ve prevented him from playing this season
- Steve Smith (WR) pledges $100,000 towards survivors in the Colorado shooting to help with medical bills
Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
- Cut third-year WR Dezmon Briscoe, who lead their team in TD receptions in 2011
- Gave tryout to Roy Williams (WR, formerly of Dallas & Detroit), decided not to sign him
- Signed Rookie Coby Fleener (TE) to a contract
- Maurice Jones-Drew (RB) does not report to training camp due to contract concerns (2 years remain on current deal)
- Third-year DT Dan Williams showed up to training camp and passed the conditioning test, which he couldn’t pass the opening day in previous seasons. He reportedly weighs less today than his normal playing weight.
- Players reportedly responding better to QB John Skelton than QB Kevin Kolb
- Dashon Goldson (S) signed a one-year franchise tender
- Braylon Edwards (WR) being considered
Kansas City Chiefs:
- Signed DT – Dontari Poe, their first-round pick (11th overall)
- Training camp day 1: Brandon Marshall dropped passes he should be catching, Matt Forte “looked stronger and faster than ever” and Jason Campbell showed good passing strength (Chicago Tribune)
- Jahvid Best (RB) expected to be cleared for contact soon following concussion concerns from last season
- Signed first-round draft pick Matt Kalil (#4 overall)
- Ray Lewis showed up to training camp 20+ pounds lighter than his typical playing weight (260 in 2011), citing the need to adapt his game to a changing league with the decreased size of running backs and the increased role of opposing teams passing offense (Baltimore Sun)
- Head Coach Mike Tomlin gets extension through 2016
- Six players start training camp on PUP list, notably Rashard Mendenhall (RB), Casey Hampton (DT), James Harrison (LB)
- Rookie QB Robert Griffin III is fine with Osi Umenyiora’s statement about needing to earn his nickname. “Osi: Who is this RGIII guy you guys keep talking about? You talking about Bob Griffin? You guys are giving him a cool nickname already and everything. When he does anything in the NFL we’re gonna call him RGIII. Right now he’s Bob Griffin.”.
- DeAngelo Hall (CB) said that until RGIII proves his value, he’s “the worst quarterback in the (NFC East)”. He also heaped praise on the rookie “Just watching him, making throws and things like that, you can tell the kid can make every throw on the field and use his legs to help extend the play … As a DB, you hate that. You hate to see a quarterback, where you feel like, ‘Oh, man, we got him,’ and then the play’s still going on. He brings that dynamic to the game”.
- Training camp status for Steve Johnson (WR) “full-go” following groin surgery
- Joseph Addai (RB) released. Failed his physical, reportedly quit a conditioning test.
- Rob Gronkowski (TE) & agent shoot down rumors of a reality TV show despite reports from William Morris Endeavor. (NBC Sports)
New York Jets
- Darrelle Revis is not holding out of training camp, as he showed up today for a physical & conditioning tests (Pro Football Talk)